Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Is Facebook Taking Over?!

Let's face it, almost everyone has a Facebook page from 80-year-old Grandmas and newborn babies to one of my friends' cat. Many of us impulsively check our pages and update our statuses not simply daily, but several times, habitually, throughout each day. Some may log onto Facebook merely to chat with their friends while others browse Facebook marketplace or search through a band's page and listen to music. Facebook has evolved considerably over the last several years and it now serves dozens of purposes. Walgreens even recently added health advice to its Facebook page and other businesses are trying similar tactics to earn precious 'Likes' from Facebook users. (Story Here) There are not that many online 'needs' that the average person cannot fulfill by simply logging onto their Facebook page, which sounds great, right? Well, maybe. Is Facebook going to expand to such an extent that we rarely use any other source when we use the Internet or will it always be just the friendly blue site that we go to to see what our friends back in our hometowns are up to? Who knows what the future will bring, but do you think an expanding Facebook would be good or bad? Would it provide easier and faster access to what we want online or will it narrow our sources and even viewpoints?

4 comments:

  1. This is interesting to think about. In my opinion, I will probably only use Facebook to keep up with what my friends are doing. I don't use it for much else, like I could. There is too many other sites out there that specialize in what they do and this is why I like using a variety of sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Facebook as much as the next college student; I even have it open in a separate tab as I write this. I figure out the latest news, gossip, TV and movie updates, and of course all of my hometown updates on Facebook. Personally, I feel like there's not a lot Facebook doesn't already do so it wouldn't be much of a difference (to me, at least) if it were to expand to include even more. I also think that if Facebook wants to stay around a lot longer they probably have to expand to include more, that's just the day and age we live in! Great post!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really thought about this till you brought it up right here. First, I use Facebook a lot. I guess everybody uses it a lot though so I can't be much different than the other average Facebook user. Anyways, I can't see Facebook ever taking over. I say this simply because it's a social networking site and used in majority for socializing and getting in contact with people and friends. Sure, now these companies all have Facebook pages, but they all lead to another page. There is never a time where you could do literally everything on Facebook. There is always a link leading to another page. Honestly, I really hope it dosen't ever take over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both comments above, but I feel that Facebook has already taken over. I mean as far as pictures go, I do not think people would take as many pictures as they do if it weren't for Facebook. The motive for a lot of people to take these pictures and pose in one million different ways is so they can post them to Facebook for other people to see. I think it has already changed a lot of habits and people can only become more obsessed. I hope that it doesn't consume our society to a point where it becomes unhealthy, but I think we are slowly but surely reaching that point already.

    ReplyDelete