Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pinterest vs. Other Time Wasters

Pinterest is a fairly new website that has become increasingly popular over the last year. Many people don't expect Pinterest to be as distracting and addicting as other online networks such as Facebook and Twitter. However, the reality is that it is easy to spend even MORE time on it than other websites. Pinterest allows you to look at pictures of almost anything, ranging from recipes to funny text conversations. Not only can your surf this page alone, but you can also connect through Facebook, looking at all of your friends pins too. It is easy to spend many hours on websites like this, like Tyler mentioned, and not even realize it. However, Pinterest might not be a complete waste of time. I, myself, have cooked a few great meals using recipes I found on there. I guess the big question is..is this website another mindless time waster like many people like to believe, or can it actually be beneficial in addition to being tons of fun? Happy pinning to all of you Pinterest fans!

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post! I think Pinterest definitely serves as a massive time-waster for a new demographic. I know my mom uses Pinterest a lot, when she is not a person who has been a frequent user of many sites in the past. I think Pinterest appeals to a more mature, artsy, and primarily female audience, as opposed to an audience something like Stumbleupon focuses on. Along with that, I do think it is a time waster, but it can be beneficial. Overall, I think it can provide new recipes and ideas, but at the cost of being extremely inefficient in regard to how much time it takes to find these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a college guy, I have not really got into Pinterest. My girlfriend and her friends are always talking about pinning each other's pins and then repinning their repins or whatever you say. I will not deny that it has to be pretty big and pretty distracting. I love the internet for its ability to remove us from the real world and to take us to a place where reality is totally skewed. Or is it?

    ReplyDelete